Making lunch for my kids has always been one of my favorite tasks of motherhood. There is something sweet about slowing down and cutting grapes in half to nourish the little bodies I've been intrusted with. On the best days, we take lunch to the park and eat in the sunshine. On the worst days, when I've lost my temper and raised my voice more than I care to admit, lunch resets the pace.
Now that school is in full swing for all of us, we don't get to eat lunch together during the week. There is something special about making this meal for them even when we don't get to eat it together. I love packing their lunch boxes full of things I know they will love. I love adding in surprise treats and tucking in cloth napkins.
But as much as I love it, I have to muster up the extra energy to do this last thing after the dinner mess is cleaned and put away. Let's be clear-I'm not a fancy lunch packer. No frills. No face shaped sandwiches. Just simple, yummy things that make all the bellies in our home happy. I thought I would share some of my favorite lunch box ideas.
- Sandwiches (PB&J forever, baby)
- Leftovers from dinner (if they have a microwave available)
- The homemade "lunchable" (turkey, cheese, crackers...all ready for them to assemble)
- Whole grain tortilla chips and guacamole (individual guac packs are the best!)
- Hard boiled eggs
- Instant oatmeal (if a microwave is available) and fruit
- Veggies and hummus